Thursday headlines (with snark)
- House vote on contraception measure delayed -- rape victims left to suffer again.
- Long-serving judge to retire -- will work on "defending judicial independence"
- Pa. Turnpike chief limits I-80 toll use
Joseph G. Brimmeier, chief executive officer of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, said a clause would be written into a lease with the state Department of Transportation, directing that all money raised from I-80 be spent on highway projects around the state.Just in case you wondered who runs this state...
- Break in beer bottleneck? I'll believe it when I see it.
- Police will form unit for casinos: It will handle increased traffic on the riverfront as well as crimes related to the slots parlors. But once they come, the city streets will run with gold...
- Wal-Mart told to pay Pa. workers $62 million Good sentences make good neighbors.
- Pa. suburbs are ablaze with political combat
- Candidates for mayor meet for decorous debate You know it's a yawner when the biggest disagreement is over Geno's...
- THE DILEMMA: INSIDER OR OUTSIDER?: It'll be next mayor's biggest appointment. Police chief, that is -- good rundown here of the factors that must be considered.
- Volunteers for patrols stepping up Start me with ten who are stout-hearted men, and I'll soon give you ten thousand more....
- CityPaper: Can the "farm-to-school" movement gain traction in Philly? It's hard to handle fresh produce in bulk quantities. But certainly every little bit helps.
- Editorial | Banking Development Districts
- Opinion: Ethics must be emphasized: The next mayor should bolster current standards and be on guard against new forms of pay-to-play.
- Letters | Jannie's wrong on Study Center -- with a plug for limiting the power of local Councilfolk.
- CP opinion: Phone Home: Councilman Clarke's revenge inflicts collateral damage on a fragile community.
- America'sHometown: Michael Nutter in Pittsburgh (link to interview video)
- Sam Katz Likes David Oh -- oh, sure, back the sane outsider over the crazy longterm GOP insiders! it's like fish in a barrel!