Friday, January 27, 2006

Upgrade what?

I'm a bit perplexed by word that Philadelphia is considering implementing pedestrian count-down timers, which alert folks to the amount of time before the light changes, at its cross-walks. This is handy technology, but the article's opening sentence captures my confusion:
A Philadelphia City Council member wants to add "pedestrian countdown timers" to augment those blinking walk and don't walk icons at city intersections.
Now I don't know about you, but I walk almost everywhere I go, other than the commute to work, and, um, 95% of the intersections that I encounter don't have any walk signs at all right now . . . ?

4 Comments:

Blogger DanielUA said...

If you are going to do this, you should do what they do in a lot of European Countries, and put in faint beeps that get quicker when the light is about to turn red. This lets those with hearing disabilities cross safely.

4:04 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

yeah, I always liked the bird-chirping intersections in Berkeley, CA, as well...

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Councilwoman "Do Nothing" Donna Miller is behind this; she's probably a bit confused about what the City current has.

5:22 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

well, to be fair, anonymous, they made explicit reference to the Franklin Parkway, which probably does have walk signals, and where there are several large buildings filled with senior citizens and other residents who could use the extra assistance getting across the street. I was mostly being a wise-akre...

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home